While working for Sony Professional Services over the summer I had two trips to Switzerland and one to Paris. I wasn’t about to let the good photo opportunities pass so I took my camera along with me and had a play with some sunset shots from the plane and night shots of the Eiffel Tower. Enjoy.
I started blogging when I started university on request of my sister, who wanted to know how I was getting on… over the years my blogging habits have gone through many stages: informal, informative, rambling, necessity, diary, reflective…
When I knew I was going to be doing a PhD, I bought this website hoping that at some point I would make something cool that I would want to show the world… weather that thing be as a result of my research, a photograph, a video, a website or something else, this is my new home for sharing my creations.
I still plan on posting my goings on when it’s relevant, but I think this blog needs to suit my new pace of life that cannot keep up with regular posts like I used to back at uni. The 190 days since my last post have been incredible!
- I have been playing around with WordPress by updating my local church website to something more easily update-able, see St Mary’s website here.
- Graduated, that was a big one… I actually haven’t uploaded any photos of my graduation to the internet yet so I’ll put those up here in the next week or two
- I presented MADTV’s last ever newsbite, which you can watch in the previous post
- I worked for Sony PSE over the summer as a Systems Engineer, involving trips to Switzerland and Paris with more photos to show you
- Tourist day in London, because it’s a shame you’re never a tourist in your home town…
- I travelled California for 4 weeks, photography highlights will most definitely be coming soon and include San Francisco, LA, Vegas and the Grand Canyon
- Went to the British Machine Vision Conference 2012, highly relevant to my PhD and held in Guildford this year!
- Alton Towers with my sister for Halloween
- Got chased around London by Zombies, hear me scream like a girl on my YouTube channel
- Recently, going to Scotland for the annual family Christmas meal, and got some great snaps of Loch Lomond I plan to share with you all
That brings you about 1% up-to-date with what’s been going on, but subscribe to the RSS feed so you don’t miss the next update.
Settling back into the slow life is so comforting knowing that you are doing something for your future, and living the present the best way you know how.
I want to inject a bit of nostalgia into this post, knowing full well that this blog has started to show its receding hairline this year with the lacklustre modicum of posts. As the new year beckons, and lets be honest its already on the horizon, I usually turn the content switch to “past” and start idolizing the perfect moments from the year gone by. And this year will be no different in some respects, but I want to start early because it’s been such an incredible year!
My best memories from January lie scattered amongst many weeks spent in Switzerland, as in fact most of my memories from the year. But there’s another theme for January, random lols. If it was Sophizzle offering words of comfort to her triffle on the bus home from Tesco, Frazer and I contemplating the benefits of nipple cups, or Sophie getting a super-low voice over serious Skype discussions about housing… it was a laugh. The best moment however?
Walking around an empty Zurich airport in bare feet. Like the set of a film…
Another month filled with Swiss air, but also featuring a couple of trips to London to see Maroon 5, Mr Scruff and Lifehouse. And while going dressed as Sherlock Holmes into Guildford town was the best fun ever, the Lifehouse gig at the Roundhouse has a special place in my heart…
Sometimes life hands you fragments of perfection, that second when the world stops and you feel that despite the worries you may have, and the challenges you face, you’ve actually got it pretty good :) One particular Friday afternoon, sat outside Lugano airport in the gorgeous sunshine waiting for a plane back home after another great week at work, and the fragments just seem to fall into place. You know you’re doing the right thing and you should never stop being who you are.
The last one for today… April. April. Where do I start… There are two things that stand out about April. One was the house boat trip, possibly the single most hilarious, drink-fuelled, best times of my life – spent on my dad’s narrowboat with my then-future-now-current housemates. Initially a bonding weekend to get to know each other better, but once we’d got the formalities out of the way it was all about having the time of our lives. The week was so good we are still quoting from it now, in fact we have a book of quotes in our living room from that trip that goes some way in recreating some of the hilarity: everything from carnivorous geese to gooches, heart-attack sandwiches to the helm of insobriety. This is undoubtedly not the last you will hear from this trip in the run up to the new year. And as for the second thing about April, that will have to wait :)
I want to finish the post with a few pictures from the start of the year that you hopefully haven’t seen before…
Even as early as January the temptation to buy chocolate (against my new years resolution!) was staring me in the face… I walked past this particular idol in the Zurich terminal building every Friday on my way back to Heathrow…
Jake comes to Guildford, and we find the FREE Guildford museum to be worth every penny…
Doing the speed limit in a Mercedes convertible on the Swiss motorway…
The sign outside the building next door to our hostel in Amsterdam. It was ideally located for our needs… there was a supermarket and bus stop nearby.
The boat trip provided lots of time to relax and take it easy, and have cider at every possible moment.
Charlotte’s birthday party had a “what did you want to be when you were younger” theme… obviously I chose geek.
Next time I promise I will talk about my current housemates and give you a tour of the grounds. I just need to be writing in here when it’s light outside!
Until next time…
My last weekend in Switzerland. So we decided to go up the highest thing we could find, which just happened to be Monte San Salvatore…
How is this year so awesome! Lugano, Amsterdam, Como, Milan, Edinburgh… and that’s not to mention the 2 epic boat trips!
- Happiness. 8 out of 10
- Tiredness. 3 out of 5
- Free Time. 0 out of 5 – final report joy & inter-rail planning
- Last Meal. Chicken and chips
- Song of the day. The King Blues – I Want You
- Thought for the day. There are no rules, only consequences.
- What I’m Doing Now. Ready for my penultimate week at work.
I’ve been very alive recently and I have lots to say, but as usual recently not enough time to do it justice:
- I moved into my new house, IMHOTEP (I don’t know why, but it needs to be in capitals…) Read all the build up in the posts below, and rest assured a full on post with pictures and maybe even a video is on its way… but not for a few weeks because…
- I’m off to Switzerland again tomorrow, for the last time. In 3 weeks time I finish an amazing year at Sony, and the next 2 weeks of those will be spent in Switzerland.
- In just 3 short weeks I start my inter-rail trip! I know, another thing I need to seriously bring you guys up to speed on, but rest assured that the trip will be covered very frequently when I’m on it! We’ve already worked out a system where there is a post (hopefully with pictures) on here every few days :) But the trip is going to be epic! Seriously, 10 major European cities in 32 days! 5 international trains and a boat!
And to finish off, some recent pictures:
^ Jake proving he can eat an entire scone (and get his entire weekly GDA of fat) in one mouthful. Family reunion in Sheffield.
^ The entrance to a secret cocktail bar (The Mayor of Scardey Cat Town)! Very cool and HIGHLY recommended when you’re next in London. 2 cocktails for £10 too!
^ Mike sporting my new desk chair!
^ Homemade rocky road ice cream! Katherine and I don’t need Giraffe to get fat :D
^ Sophie’s 21st BBQ and general jolly japes
- Happiness. 8 out of 10
- Tiredness. 2 out of 5
- Free Time. 0 out of 5 – more final report joy
- Last Meal. Steak and chicken pizza
- Song of the day. The King Blues – Everything Happens For A Reason (new album!! Seeing them live in November!)
- Thought for the day. Why do schoolgirls dress like hookers, and hookers dress like schoolgirls?
- What I’m Doing Now. Thinking of inventive ways of displaying pictures in my room without damaging the wall… So far I have this. Any other ideas?
It’s on it’s way… I’m just a bit pre-occupied with this moving house, travelling around Switzerland and Italy, birthday party, and boating malarkey.
But not to worry, I’m only off to Scotland on Thursday, back off to Switzerland next Monday and then in Sheffield the following weekend… And then I move into my NEW house :)
So, yea, just ambling around…
- Happiness. 9 out of 10
- Tiredness. 5 out of 5
- Free Time. 0 out of 5
- Last Meal. Tuna pasta
- Song of the day. Johnny ‘Guitar’ Watson – Gangster of Love
- Thought for the day. …it’s beating twice as strong
- What I’m Doing Now. Packing. The story of my life.
A whole week in the country! And I’ve spent all that time in Guildford! Since getting back from Switzerland a week on Friday life seems to have slowed down a little bit. Two lazy weekends barely leaving the house, just catching up on sleep and sorting out a few things.
Then a week in the office getting plenty outstanding things done and starting to realise that I only have two months of this job left. And God knows they will fly by as quickly as the last 11.
Last Saturday was a bit of a laugh since I met up with Katherine for some breakfast at 1pm (what? I said it was a lazy weekend, and besides, I don’t have any food in the house…). We went to Gourmet Burger Kitchen for a massive burger and even bigger Oreo milkshake! A couple hours later we left, noticeably larger than when we arrived. Then we went and opened a joint account, as you do, for the house next year. Then I was offered some free cat food and Katherine got 40% off rugs. What more could you possibly want? Well, some bread, milk and mayonnaise to get me through the week… Literally that’s all I needed.
Today I’m off to Switzerland again for another 2 weeks, lots and lots of work to do! A few cool pictures will need to be taken too… this never gets old :)
- Happiness. 8 out of 10 (leaving some room for later in the week)
- Tiredness. 3 out of 5 (still haven’t got used to this early start on Monday)
- Free Time. 1 out of 5 (and loving every minute!)
- Last Meal. Giraffe breakfast at the airport
- Song of the day. Jason Wade – You Belong To Me
- Thought for the day. You make my heart beat faster, and skip a beat somehow
- What I’m Doing Now. On the LX317, listening to some guy whistling "loving you" by Minnie Ripperton… now that’s going to be in my head for the rest of the day! Grrr….. I hate not having an MP3 player.