I know I’ve been all up on the radio silence recently, exam season is upon us! I have devised my top 40 moments of 2011 that we have to count down together when these exams are over, and start talking about my final semester at university! It’s the beginning of the end!!!
I’ve been part of the University of Surrey’s Student Television Station since it began a few years ago, but I’ve always focused on the technical aspects such as filming and editing… but this week, in a bizarre role-reversal between Mike and I, I presented and he edited. So I present to you my first (who knows their may be more…) foray into news presenting…
In other news, that I haven’t presented to camera, I went to London last weekend and saw some mates from way back when in Sixth form. Brought together with our love for Nando’s free whole chicken, we sat, gobbled and gobbed for hours. It’s always interesting to stay in touch and see what all your old friends have achieved with their lives. Ben, who has already graduated from an Accounting degree, has found himself working in the Pensions department at Wandsworth Council… I wonder where I’ll be in a years time? Back at Sony? Another broadcast company? McDonalds? the street? Like recycling, the possibilities are endless…
But that’s a while away yet, what about the immediate future? Well I’m off to W-hey-mouth this weekend to see the lovely Charlotte :D After that?
- 4th December. My parents come to Guildford for Christmas dinner cooked by my housemates and I.
- 15th December. Going to see Matthew Bourne’s Nutcraker in London!
- 22nd December. The usual trick for Christmas commences… up to my sisters in Chesterfield for the festivities and prevailing jokes.
- 29th December. The usual trick for New Year… Jake and I hit up London for a ‘small’ party with friends while the parents are away…
- January. Exams, coursework, projects… back to normality, for my last year at University!!!
Some of you may have heard that I made a new years resolution for 2011 to not buy any chocolate for the whole year, and those people will also know how impossible this challenge should prove to be… well I’m still at it, but the going is getting tough with just 6 weeks to go! I started the year with a chocolate stash (below) to get me through, but this week that stash was depleted to zero. So now, as Boyzone once said, the going gets tough…
Another week has been and gone, but more importantly… so has another weekend!
So far there have been 5 weekends in 2011, and they just seem to be getting better and better!
This last weekend was crazy Cardiff weekend. I went to visit Jake for fun times and that’s exactly what happened. Needless to say lots of Rum was consumed (it deserves a capital letter :P), and lots of catching up was had. Jake’s university halls are pretty damn small, and when I invaded with my Swiss suitcase full of stuff (but not chocolate this time) it did get a bit messy :S
Jake has come to visit me in Guildford a couple of times before, so it was great to finally switch roles. I swear Jake is so lucky with his housemates, they all seem really cool, and we got on straight away. Besides being badly conned in a drinking game designed to stitch me up, all the banter was brilliant :P
On Friday I arrived at about 10pm after quite an epic journey straight from work in Switzerland:
- I left work at 2pm (1pm GMT)
- 30 minute drive from the office to the Airport
- Fly to Zurich airport, arriving at about 4pm
- Fly from Zurich to London Heathrow (flight delayed by 30 minutes meant we arrived at 6:30pm)
- Luckily I have perfected the art of wizzing through the airport, and got in the taxi 15 minutes later…
- The taxi then drove me to Reading train station where I was to get the 7:48pm train…
- After traffic on the M3, I got there with just 15 minutes to spare
- Then I got on a very packed train to Cardiff, arriving at 9:30pm
- At Cardiff Jake was there to greet me!
- A 30 minute walk to his halls got us there just after 10pm… and then it was time to start the night!
I’m not going to lie, I was pretty shattered, considering I’d also got up at 7am (6am GMT) for work. But once the first drinking game was in full swing, the Friday bug kicked in and kept me going until 4am!
Saturday was a bit more civilised, which just about balances out the weekend nicely. Then on Sunday it was back on the train to Reading, taxi to Heathrow and to Zurich. A total of 27 hours travelling for 31 hours in Cardiff…. and it was worth every minute! Next time it’s Jake’s turn to visit :D
This week I’m back in Switzerland for work, but already looking forward to next weekend!
- Happiness. 11 out of 10
- Tiredness. 5 out of 5 (sleeeeeeppzzzzzzzz)
- Free Time. 0 out of 5 (but who needs it when you’re having this much fun anyway!)
- Last Meal. Sausage rolls from Cardiff train station!
- Song of the day. Joshua Radin – I’d Rather Be With You
- Thought for the day. Toffee Apple Pie is pretty damn good! Thanks Becky!
- What I’m Doing Now. In Zurich Airport, sleeping in a dayroom. Walking around a deserted airport is quite creepy…
PS there’ve been a few advancements in the world of Inter-railing and accommodation for my final year, so I’ll update you on those soon
PPS You forgot the blueberries, skip to 55 seconds if you absolutely can’t wait, but it is worth it! Thanks for this one Jake :)
this post was written on Sunday 9th January
Some of the long-time readers of this blog may know about the “no socks phenomenon”. No socks days are those days that are so relaxing that you don’t even need socks. This weekend was one of those. It’s very rare I have a weekend doing nothing, so I took the chance to work on my cork wall, which due to the recent cold spell had decided to take a trip to the floor :( but it has now been restored to it’s former glory!
I spent the rest of the weekend working on a couple of websites I try to manage in my spare time (I can almost say ‘spare time’ with a straight face..)
I’ve found a few hilarious YouTube videos I want to share with you lovely people. Think of it as a late Christmas present…
For more YouTube goodness, check out the YouTube Favourites section to the right of this page, all of these videos have been on there at some point. Or follow me on YouTube :)
- Happiness. 7 out of 10
- Tiredness. 0 out of 5 (but my body clock will need to adjust to Swiss time on Tuesday :P)
- Free Time. 4 out of 5 (ahhhhhh!)
- Last Meal. Sausage and bacon sandwich
- Song of the day. Paolo Nutini – New Shoes
- Thought for the day. A new poem :) called These Four Walls
- What I’m Doing Now. wearing socks… the floor’s just too cold!